Hey guys! Years ago I had a pretty popular WordPress website that required a VPS, so I went with a managed account on FutureHosting.com. But my site has been pretty inactive for a while now and I’m thinking I can scale back. Plus, I’ve done everything I know to do with caching plugins to get Google’s Pagespeed to give me a favorable review, but it’s always very slow. Furthermore, the sites tend to be fickle with how they deliver email notifications and sites go down at the most inopportune times. Since one of my other sites is becoming more popular in a different industry, I’m looking to move to something more reliable, faster, and hopefully cheaper.
I’ve been considering MediaTemple’s Grid service, but it’s been several years since I looked into web-hosting companies, so I’m completely out of touch with what’s out there and what the technology offers. I thought I’d ask you guys for recommendations.
HERE’S WHAT I GOT
- 3 WordPress sites, one using Cart66 Cloud for ecommerce.
- 1 iDevAffiliate site in a folder of one of the other domains.
- Several email forwarders.
- The sites combined transfer about 50-60 GB of data each month.
- The sites combined are using about 18 GB of diskspace.
- The sites combined get about 25,000 pageviews/month. One site is growing, traffic on the others is pretty flat.
- It’s all based on WHM/cPanel.
- I have an SSL certificate setup on the ecommerce site, but I don’t think I really need it since Cart66 Cloud takes care of the transaction.
- I pay $57.95/month for 100 GB of diskspace and 4 GB of RAM.
- I pay $10/month for daily FTP backups, so $67.95/month total.
WHAT’S MOST IMPORTANT TO ME
- Up-time. Every minute my sites are down is time I’m potentially missing revenue opportunities.
- Site speed. I want Google’s Pagespeed to give my sites a favorable score.
- Quick and prompt support. I hate it when my sites go down and I have to submit an email ticket and just wait until someone sees it. I can do basic stuff like setting up MySQL databases and such, but I don’t know how to manage or service my VPS.
- A company who can transfer my sites for me for free or very cheap and keep everything intact without a hickup. MediaTemple charges $150 per domain to transfer from another host for you. Ouch. That adds up quick. I don’t know how to do it myself or I would.
I don’t know if I’m eligible to switch to a shared hosting plan until my one site grows a bit more, if I should stay on a VPS, if I currently have a good deal where I am and should stay put, or what.
Thanks for your recommendations, guys!
This entry passed through the Full-Text RSS service — if this is your content and you’re reading it on someone else’s site, please read the FAQ at fivefilters.org/content-only/faq.php#publishers.