Hi guys, I’m sorry if I’ve posted this in the wrong forum, but I’m in a situation where I seek knowledge regarding many matters.
Bottom line is, that I’ve recently come up with an excellent idea for a video sharing website. Now, I know exactly how I want the layout for the website to be, and I have ‘designed’ it in Microsoft Publisher as well (Simply drawing shapes, inserting text and what not). My problem is however, that I’m completely clueless regarding what it takes to code and run a website – which is okay, as I’m gonna hire someone to help me with this. But even though I’m not gonna do any of the programming myself, I would still like to gather some knowledge, so that I can actually understand the process, and be a part of it – also I’m making a budget, and therefore I need to know what is needed, and how I’m gonna get it. I have done a lot of research, but it seems kind of hard to connect the dots, when I have no idea how it’s done. So hopefully someone could walk me through the ropes.
The things I can think of is:
• The domain name – I have already decided, but where and how do I claim this?
• How do I manage all the space required for the videos uploaded by my users? (I would want to be prepared for 5000-10.000 within the first month). I suppose this would require a lot of space and bandwidth?
• Hosting the site? As far as I can tell, shared web hosting would not have the space I demand, neither the speed. I’ve read about hosting a dedicated server or a VPS, and think that this is more the way to go? But then again, I don’t even know if a dedicated server can be used without a web host?
• What software would I need to purchase?
• How long would it take to actually create the site? (I know that this can be hard to tell, but a rough estimate would be nice).
Anyway, this is just whats in top of my head, any additional information would also be greatly appreciated.
This entry passed through the Full-Text RSS service — if this is your content and you’re reading it on someone else’s site, please read the FAQ at fivefilters.org/content-only/faq.php#publishers.